View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
GregAndrew

My Guru (Buttchaser) John dropped what he was doing to come over and get some pics while I was working a fish up. Little did he realize that he was going to be giving a free lesson on the proper way to land a big Butt. I have landed a couple of nice ones, but never so smoothly and effortlessly as with his coaching. And for his effort, he got a nice shower from the fish splashing after I had popped the gill on it. Here I am just after the initial hookup

John: You want to bring him up on your right side for the gaff if you are right handed." Ok.

John: "Get your game clip ready." Notice it on my lap already open.
John: "Now go for the belly with the gaff." Got it, although in my excitement I did lift him up a little higher than I needed to.

John: "Slide the clip up under the gill plate and out the mouth, then snap it shut."

John: Make sure your game clip is tied off securely before you take out the gaff." It will be soon as I attach the secondary cord.

John: "Ok, now remove the hook, then the gaff and pop a gill (Put your hand under the gill plate, grab a gill and yank)."

Now pose like you knew what you were doing the whole time.

By far the easiest Halibut landing I have ever had to that time. Just be ready for some fireworks when you put the head back in the water. New PB 40.5 inches and 24.13 pounds. For all his trouble coaching, all John got was a shower when I popped the gill.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote