Thread: Transducers
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #40
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakrider View Post
pardon my lack of inteligence....
but...
what is that yellow box and what does it do?
It reads and records barometric pressure. It actually does more then reads it but stores it in a 12 hour buffer allowing you to access current and past data to see if there have been pressure changes and what the trend is.

The higher the atmospheric pressure the more water it can hold in the air. So usually when you get a dramatic drop in atmospheric pressure your going to get rain. Cold fronts that produce rain are actually low pressure fronts.

Water is more dense then air and when the air pressure changes it creates micro changes in water density. For years and years people have said that fish bite on a falling barometer, but the question has always been why.

My take is that baitfish do to there small size have trouble dealing with changes of temperature PH or pressure. When you have a dramatic shift in barometric pressure, it can produce a small change in water pressure, which can sometimes disorient bait and make it easy prey.

This is the same reason offshore fish feed on temp breaks. Baitfish when they hit a break get disoriented as their bodies adapt to the temp change which makes then easy prey for larger fish that are not effected by the small changes due to their increased mass.

Whatever the reason fish tend to feed before storms, and they somehow have a way of sensing storms are coming. I'd say they have some kind of ability to sense the rapid drop in pressure which signals the storms are coming.

In a way that box just gives the angler the same ability.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote