View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Did a leak test. My Revo is watertight below the normal water line. I am fairly sure my main leak source is the front hatch. I run the fish finder cables over the gasket and am sure that I do not get a very good seal there as a result.

Fongman has a good point as well. I was totally submerged many times as I tried to make it through the relentless surf. The rudder cable holes are always open and this day they were underwater quite a bit.

For those who have adopted my transducer wet mount idea, I have some news to report on that front as well. All the pounding, which probably also included some significant hull flexing caused the goop holding down my well to spring a leak. It was not a big leak but I found that if I pressed on the well, I could force some water out.

I removed the unit and re-attached it to the hull. This time I made sure that there was a 3/4" wide, thin layer of goop, applied like caulk surrounding the ABS pipe on the outside.

It is probably a good idea to frequently check the integrity of the bond between the plastic pipe and the hull along with making sure that there is water in the well.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote