View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

Any old tubers around?

The other day I was getting my camping gear together, looking for my two burner stove and I went through some old boxes from may parents house. In one of them I came across my old float tube I used to fish back in Texas as a teen.

I bought it when I was maybe sixteen in 1976, for fishing stripers in below lake Grandburry on the Brazos.

When the water was high they'd open the big gates. The strippers would congregate in the eddies between them, feeding on shad that washed through the gates then got caught in the back current. I'd put on some cutoffs, hike in with the float tube (no roads in there), put on some fins and go right went right out into the whitewater. Different age. It was legal back then, the only rule was you could not climb on the dam structures itself. So I'd go right out in the thick of it, fishing the eddies in between the running gates created by the flow on each side.

Lot's of turbulence, lots of shad out there, lots of big stripers, lots of fun, I remember it like it was yesterday. At the time, people thought I was absolutely insane, if my parents had seen me do it they probably would of had a fit but they didn't know, the fishing was incredible, I was the only guy doing it, and I had a blast.

I honestly have not been in a tube since maybe 1980, or seen even inflated this one, pretty much just forgot about it, until I found it recently.

I started looking at it closely and it's in great shape. Then did some research and it turns out I have a piece of float tube history.

"1940, a company surfaced called the Tucker Duck & Rubber Company. They were a small commercial tube manufacture out of Fort Smith, Arkansas. They started to produce the first inflatable float tube known as the ‘Fish-N-Float’...

These boats were very heavy when wet and the seams would fall apart fairly rapidly but even so, the Fish-N-Float was a success...

In 1947 a new company appeared on the scene out of Oklahoma City. The Fishmaster MFG. Company offered a new quick connect seat release and gave the Fish-N-Float some stiff competition. The Fishmaster Mfg. Company became a major float tube supplier offering more and more models over the next few years."

So it's a vintage Fishmaster, the second company to ever make production fishing tubes, and the model I have was pretty much unchanged from their originals from the forties.. Evidently these tubes are well known for lasting the test of time. Here's some old timers talking about them back in Texas:

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...Number/2014538

"I love may Fishmaster tubes. I have one that is 40+ years old as well as a newer nylon. They are the best. "

"I love mine as well. Mines 20 yrs old. Still works great...They're almost indestructible."

I found a website for floattube history http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/float...e_history.html it says the fishmasters were "the" premier tubes of the fifites sixties and seventies, it links to this tube in their 70s section of their timeline.

That looks like he's fishing Toledo Bend, and I have that exact same early seventies model tube.

So here it is right out of storage box I had it in and inflated for the first time tonight in 30 years:

Patented quick connect seat release and all.

Basically it's still absolutely perfect 35 years later. I figured it might just fall apart when I put air in it but it's just as I remembered it. They sure built them to last back then.

Like I said I used to fish this thing all the time in the summers in Texas when I was a teenager. I swear running my hands across it for the first time in 30 years almost gave me a woody. It is so evocative, I remember the feel of it so well. It's like running my hand on my first girlfriends thigh again after all this time. Now I'm definitely going to have to buy some fins and take it out fishing. I'm thinking possibly Castiac Lagoon, but am open to suggestions.

So the question I have is where should I fish it, but also what's the tube history out her in So.Cal. Did they even have float tubes here in California in the seventies?

Not only was I tubing 35 years ago (don't tell Baytubers) but I can now still fish the exact same tube I fished all those years ago. Too Fn Cool.

Jim.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 09-15-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote