Thread: Kayak Anchors
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #19
805gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
So here's my little anchor setup, since I wanted to make a new one anyway. I thought I might as well show you a improved version that can be made without welding.

Parts:

So that is a chunk of pipe a galvanized welded ring and two 1/8 stainless rods about twenty inches long.

Construction is simple. Slide the ring on to both rods. Slide the rods down into the tube. Bend the rods out like a grapple.

Here's the completed anchor, along with my little downrigger setup I use for with it.

Put the scotty in a mount, mini rigger in the scotty and you're in business. I already had made the rigger to use as a downrigger but it makes a good anchor system as well.

The advantages of this are that you can deploy the anchor instantly, get it up and out of the way fast, and freespool out more scope if you need to move (like your hung up) but do not want to loose your anchor set.

I've used the setup at Castiac for fishing bait. Just drop it down and it hooks in the rocks but when you need to pull it the rods bend out to an extent and it easily comes free. It will work fine with just pipe but I pour lead into mine, which adds maybe six ounces. The whole thing maybe weighs 12 ounces. More then enough to hold me in wind but easy to deploy, use, and retrieve.

The anchor mini grapple itself is so inexpensive and easy to make I sometimes carry them with me even when I do not have the rigger, as I can just tie it to a thirty or forty pound outfit and use it in a pinch. Cast it out, let it hang up, put the rod in the holder and tighten the drag and your anchored, when you want to go pull hard and the tines straighten out. It's just that simple.

Works for me.

Jim
Have you ever used that to hold you in place? It looks a little flimsy to me. I use a folding Grapnel anchor on my small boats, kayak and inflatable. A 1.5 lb is $12 at WM, takes up little space and weighs, you guessed it 1.5 lb. I could see the need of and good anchor in an emergency, in case of a big fish, injury or gear failure near large breaking waves, or other unseen occasion.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote