View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I do not have the freezer space to try this method but I bet it would easily work as well as the vac bags do. Someone should give it a try.

I thought I might as well pass on the way I do it. I usually just cut off the head and gut them then cut off the tail. Then I roll the whole fish with the skin still on in butcher papper and freeze it whole. So essentually my freezer is filled with logs of fish.

When I want to eat that fish I thaw the whole thing out, cut it up into steaks, choose what I want for dinner then package the rest in zip locks and eat it over a month or so. Now that I have a food saver I sometimes seal the ziplock bags with it just to get a good seal if It's a big fish with lots of packages, but since I usually don't let them sit long I seldom use the foodsaver bags on the steaks.

There's nothing new in this it's sort of the way the Japanese do it, to protect meat quality.

The skin stops the meat from oxidizing so you can store fish a ridiculously long time this way. I've had yellowfin and yellows that got buried and sat for over a year in my freezer and when I thawed them out they were still sashimi quality.

In fact I probably still have some yellowfin in my freezer right now from the summer before last that will still be good enough to BRBQ, and probably still are sashimi grade.

Basically the only part that get's old or oxidizes is the exposed flesh, which is the same principle of the freezing in water idea. You keep the air off of it, and keep it solidly frozen it lasts.

I just find leaving them whole is the easist method to keep the air off of the meat.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote