View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Pennzoil Marine Grade grease #2 and Speed X oil. I clean everything first with Corrosion X to remove and prevent rust and corrosion. Then when reassembling I grease everything especially the main bearings and roller bearings that the crank shaft is dependent on. Then I oil the spool bearing liberally with Speed X and the spool flies. If you soak old bearings with Corrosion X for an hour and work the bearings for about 5 minutes they work a little better than new bearings in my opinion because the surface of the balls have been worn a bit from wear and leaves a space in the bearing trough. However, if they are to old and they collect rust or corrosion they are done for and usually can tell if they aren't any good if your free spool is jerky and jumpy. I use a lot more grease than most other businesses on my customer's reels and know that their reels come back to me in flawless condition on the inside. Hell I even tested my product out to see if my work was fruitful, and sure enough I purposely dunked my reels in the water to get some sand out of my reels from a gusty beach launch. Those reels didn't get taken apart for two weeks, just a simple soak in fresh water after the trip and they were pristine. I will say to all that it is vital to rinse you gear throughly after every trip. Especially you guys who own Sealines those reels have notoriously corrosive crank shafts and handles target that area along with the spool and screws when rinsing.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote