Thread: Newport, 5-9-11
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 5-9-11

Launched about 5:45am to really windy and cold conditions. It was blowing probably 15-20 out of the NW. But it could've been worse, half my drive up I had the wipers going. Tide was already pretty low, but there was some current. Headed straight for the moored boats on the peninsula since there was a bit of protection from the wind. Worked the shallower boats mostly and for the first hour it was bite city. Broke 2 off on mooring lines, got 2 legals, one bat ray, and a lot of swings and misses. Then the current stopped and the bite died. After that even a bite was hard to find. Pretty much kitchen sinked the place and eventually I hooked a dock fish which popped off. The current never did pick back up until about 11am when I was headed in. Hot baits were the 4" fire avocado Flurry and a secret weapon to be named in the future. Of course I used Hotsauce too. Over all it was actually a fun morning as I expected nothing with the weather being what it was. Assuming I can wake up, I'm going again tomorrow, but earlier.