View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
First of all, just let me tell you that I gave up on being cool in the 80s. Also keep in mind that this question is being asked by someone who knows with certainty that if a school of yellows boils more than 75 feet from my kayak (okay, maybe 100'), my current jigstick, in my hands, probably doesn't get the surface iron over the fish. So bring it on, you won't hurt my feelings. I'm comfortable with whatever lambasting I might get for even considering this, particularly if it results in me getting one of those boiling yellows.

Background: Grew up fishing spinners in freshwater and can cast those. Got into kayak fishing a couple of years ago and have pretty much figured out how to use the gear, with the exception surface iron casting. I have an 8' jigstick that is pretty heavy (no name brand) with a nice narrow saltist on it. When I try to get distance in a cast the result is mild to severe birds nesting, or no distance, sometimes both. I feel like the jigstick is not helping me much. Its heavy, doesn't load up. I hate stacking the line for the next cast.

So I've been thinking about a new jigstick. I like the 8'0 and 8'6" shimano teramar cause they're really light which could help when casting sitting down. But I'm still concerned that I'll drop a couple hundred on a nice setup that I can't use well.

Been looking at the youtube videos of kingfish fishing in Australia and NZ, and those dudes are using spinners, so.....

I'm thinking that maybe I could pick up one of the newer heavy spinning outfits, (in the $150 range for a reel) load it with powerpro, and use that for the occasional surface casting. Hell, since I'm alienating myself from the traditionalists, maybe I'll even put a waxwing on it!

So I have two options,

A) Get a better jigstick with my current reel, suck it up and learn to use it. Risk screwing the pooch at the critical moment if I don't practice enough. Don't have a lot of time to practice.

B) Get a heavy spinning outfit that I could toss a lot further and don't have to worry about stacking the line.

What do you think? Also, for both options, what's the best setup for limited budget. Combo on the spinner? Any reasonably priced spinning reels that can stand up to saltwater on a kayak? etc etc.

Thanks, Tom
Lots of variables here... So I'll try to start at the the logical beginning.

The Cast itself is only as good as the experience and knowledge of the person operating the rod/reel.
-Take a salty deckhand for instance, using a homemade wrapped 90J that sits on the deck of a sport boat 365 days a year. Nothing special, no special Fuji SIC guides. This equipment doesn't see a drop of fresh water unless it rains, but he can fire off a long cast every time.

Its his technique, not necessarily the tools he is using.
If I wanted to cast like a deckhand - I would ask a deckhand to teach me how use the long rod. Its an invaluable resource and its available to anyone who wants to walk down to a local sport boat and ask.
-What's it gunna cost ? Lunch, maybe some beer money. These guys are the local experts on using the long rod. (The neurosurgeons of casting)

You can become proficient with the right instruction. You have to decide if your ready to take your casting to the next level.

This is my recommendation before spending anymore money on a New Jig Stick or crossing over into spinning reels just yet.

------------------------------------------
I started as an east coast guy with spinning reels with 12' surf rods, but we are Not surf fishing here.

Case in point:
I have a spinning outfit here and thought I would try it on the kayak for awhile because I wasn't good at casting a conventional reel. I thought it would work good enough to get by - until I hooked a yellowtail and got smoked on the set up.
-The 7 ft. tiger ugly stick 20-50 was too parabolic to turn the fish - and I could not use "the rail" so to speak because the spinning Reel is on the bottom of the rod - unlike a conventional which sits above your legs/knees. You have to high stick the entire fight and its not easy.
(Even a 100J was easier to deal with on a kayak because you can lay the rod down on "the rail" )

Casting a spinner does tear up your finger a bit, but can can tape it with rescue tape or 3m Vet Wrap and its helps.

IMO there is not a good enough factory rod available yet where you can bolt up a Saltist spinner ($209), or Penn Battle ($109) but you can certainly have one wrapped if you want....... You need at least 8 ft. of rod to make this work.
-Some time this year I will give this a try just for the fun of it. Build a 690J or a 270H with spinning guides as a project -
---------------------------------------------

All in All - I am firm believer of the 10 ft. So Cal jig stick and conventional reel because I took the time to learn how to use one, but I learned to walk before I began to run. It was the Calstar 270H (an 8 ft. 15-40 glass rod) that I used to learn, and still enjoy fishing.
-Aside from actual practice one on one with a person, there is very little information posted on video that can teach this. The bulk of the stuff available deals with Loooong Distance pendulum style casting more applicable to Surf Casting.

Jim Sammons has a brief YouTube Vid that touches on some basic technique that carries over to longer rods as well. I agree with the principles and its a good starting point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1Rwwcmkzc