View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

From a safety point of view it makes sense to have GPS and your MB radio in one package. With DSC you can transmit your position and talk to rescuers. I would just want to make sure that the NAV display can be viewed while using the radio.
For practical purposes I would rather have a FF/GPS combo and a separate radio. I like to keep the radio on my PFD where I have quick access and if I go in the water the radio goes with me. I want my GPS in front of me where I can see it. That's just my personal preference, but I want to be able to see my course track while paddling. I also want to be able to mark/store productive spots and structure on my FF.
I'm not completely sold on Uniden. I've heard some negative reports on Uniden's reliability. I've used their scanners, but I found them to be a little flimsy. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it were made by Standard Horizon or ICOM. Before you buy you should demo a unit and see if it is easy and convenient to use. Think about how manage comms and navigation functions while you are paddling and would this radio make things easier or more efficient.