View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
Chuck D

Had a blast!

This would be my second year fishing in the Moyer tournament. I absolutely love the cause that it supports as well as being out in La Jolla with a hundred fellow kayak fisherman. My day started with a very long paddle out. While everyone decided to stick close to shore I just went out as far as I could. For the life of me I couldn't find a bait all day so with desperate measures in place I used some old squid I brought out and eventually a Rapala (which I never use unless it a dire circumstance). I ended up catching myself a barely legal bass and kept it, thinking that it could be the winning fish if no one else catching caught a fish that day, lol, wishful thinking. It was cold, cloudy and I was starting to feel that it was time to call it quits. Off in the distance was one clearing in the clouds and a patch of blue sky. I decided this would be my last hope, at least I could warm up for a bit before giving in. Off I paddled to a depth of 140feet at 11am. I sat for bout 10 minutes when literally out of nowhere an eruption of over 100 yellowtail blew up all around my kayak. I have never seen them come out of the water like this I almost had 2 or 3 three literally jump into the kayak. Frantically I grab the jig stick and launch a perfect shot. If the middle of the eruption I got a taker within about .2 seconds, he was mine. Great fight, lasted about 15-20 min. Got this guy in the kayak with the jig barely hanging on to the lip of this beauty. What a day! Ended up with a 4th place finish! The YT weighted in at the tourney at 21.93, however at my house it weighed in at 24.5 so I am not sure how this came to be, at least everyone used the same scale at the tourney so everyone must of had the same skewed numbers. Either way thank you so much for holding this very special event! Jim if you ever are considering holding this event again put me on the list to help out wherever I can. I am a teacher and feel that our young generation of people need events like this to gain interest in the sport, learn to protect our ocean environment and help out others in need! Thanks for another wonderful year!
IRONS ALL THE WAY! TIGHT LINES!
Attached Images

Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote