Thread: Opening
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Whizz Bang

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Edberg, we will do dinner at my place soon.

Don, I will probably never work in a professional kitchen again, maybe we can talk Chef T into setting up shop at the shores and we can trade him fish for restaurant credit

Kevin, whatever it takes to get my hands on some of that salmon, I am in. Also, I am going to have to ask you to clear your schedule, I need my reels done, and judging from the noises they have been making, you will have your hands full.

Wiredantz, as my wife put it: If your wife ever saw the complete destruction I bring to a kitchen, you would have nothing to worry about.

Limits, forget the chive sauce, master the beurre blanc. Start with the juice of a few lemons(you can also use vinegar or white wine or both), a chopped shallot, and maybe a minced clove of garlic. Reduce to au sec (almost dry like 2 tbsp of liquid) add a 1/2 cup of heavy cream and reduce again until nice and thick and remove from the heat. Whisk in a stick of butter cut into pieces one or two slices at a time. season with a little salt and maybe a touch of white pepper.

Use this as a base for any sauce paired with seafood grilled, broiled, or baked. You can add any assortment of herbs. You can blend with a cup of watercress or just add a chopped handful of parsley, tarragon, dill, chervil, chives, or capers etc.

For plating and a contrast of flavors, you can lay down a layer of sauce and then add a dollop of roasted red pepper puree or red chili sauce on top of it. Then you get to draw fancy star patterns with a toothpick by running it from the center of the red out into the base layer (much like arts and crafts in kindergarten, you are limited only by your imagination).

The beurre blanc is not a classic mother sauce(ie the base of many other sauces), but it might as well be. As long as you are using cream, it is also fairly forgiving, give it a shot.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote