View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisher View Post
Dsafety, are you familiar with the Navionics App for iphone?
Yes, I am familiar with the app. It is OK but not great when installed on a phone. For today's purpose it was very useful as a way to figure out where I was. On a larger screen than what you get on a phone it would be much more useful. The app is quite powerful, allowing you to track where you have been, save waypoints and review your trip online.

For all of those ragging about not having a compass on the boat, the one on my phone works just fine. Unless the phone battery fails, it is just as good as any that I might mount on the boat.

The problem today was one that a compass could not solve. I could figure out what direction I was going but not where I was. To be truthful, I was probably never in very much danger. I could always find land by just heading east or heading toward the barking sea lions or the sound of the surf.

The point that I am trying to make in this post is that if you have a smart phone, (these days you can buy one for less than $50), you can load apps that can come in very handy when stuff like this comes up.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote