Thread: Not good ...
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA Supporter View Post
i don't really need o defend my statement, the science and the numbers speak for themselves, strategically placed MPAs WORK, there is no dispute about that, or at least there should not be one from anyone who can read...
Really...science? You mean the 'science' that was given, and expected to be well received, even though said 'science' was flawed and not even reviewed when data was given proving otherwise, because they did not have time to review it as they were in such a hurry to cram this through disregarding 'science' proving the opposite?

Quote:
Look at recently enacted MPAs like Cabe Pulmo down in Mexico, or even our local MPA in La Jolla, where you have more reproductively active large Female California Spinies than surrounding waters, and one of the only known large breeding populations of Green Abalone left on the West Coast of the US.
Whoa...we are talking about fishing, and you bring up bugs and snails...
Didn't you guys have a so-called diver speak at one of the meetings and say that he dives the LJ reserve and that he doesn't see any fish, that being his reasoning why we should increase the size of the LJ reserve...now, he was lying, that we know. But, based on his statement, wouldn't it make sense then that, going on his word which you anti-fishers hold in such high esteem, if that truly was the case, then LJ is the last place you would want to increase a reserve since the initial reserve didn't work...

Quote:
I do not understand why more fisherman, such as myself, are not pro MPAs. (excuse the double negative) If anything the primary users of the resource (other than SCUBA divers and scientists) should be the ones most concerned with the longevity of the resource. You still have the majority of the surrounding waters to fish. roughly 75 to 80% to be exact.
If this was truly the case, why are you targeting the little guys?

Here's a thought...now follow me on this one.

A kayaker has what is known in nautical terms as a limited load capacity. Therefore, he absolutely cannot exceed the weight maximum of his kayak without endangering themselves. Ergo, keeping 10 Yellowtail would exceed his capacity. Most of the months, he can only keep one White Sea Bass. I do not know of many yakkers that keep Sand Bass, or Calico for that matter. Even Halibut are limited. Best yet, we are fine with that, so much so in fact, we even suggested lowering the daily take of species. Of course that fell on deaf ears...
A diver, he is not gonna go and spear 10 Calicos, 10 Yellowtail (he'd be so lucky), he is lucky to get a White Sea Bass or a legal Halibut.
A surf fisherman, good luck catching a Yellowtail from shore, maybe a legal Halibut, wishful thinking catching a legal White Sea Bass.

Now, a boater, multiply those numbers by the number of anglers on board the vessel. Let's not forget the party boats, with even more anglers, and an even heavier load capacity...and don't leave out the commercial boats and their by-catch, just to present the fish filleted, wrapped in plastic, that's ok, right? If you guys are so hell bent on preserving fishery stock, why not target the ones doing the most damage to the environment and fish stock?

Prosecute the minnows while the sharks roam free, ever heard of that?

The kayaker, the diver, the surf fisher, these are the ones affected by the closures, not the private boater or the party boat, they can all go further offshore safely. Basically, with your whole MPA analogy, we should either:

A: Paddle our kayaks further offshore to eat fish, or
B: Buy a boat or hop on a party boat

You do know this was all about the Clean Water Act initially, yes?
Don't know of any kayakers, divers, surf fishers that use oil or gasoline...

Quote:
Now, you may begin to nit pick my post and make defamatory statements. it is a shame that fellow fisherman tend not to be the most receptive to cordial argument.
Spell check, it's free. And that would be Cabo Pulmo.
Or am I not being cordial enough?

Quote:
...or at least there should not be one from anyone who can read...
Nice...wanting a cordial argument (an oxymoron) and you start it off this way...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote