View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Yeah, beautiful day out there. Lots of macks swimming everywhere, but no love from any large predators. I happened upon a few bait boils, where there were birds and sea lions crashing all around. Threw my Iron over without any interest.

Then the wind and swell kicked up a few notches.

I remember being in a few troughs and not seeing horizon in any direction.

At one point I stopped to re-tie a knot, and when I looked up, the current/wind had blown me all the way around the point where I couldn't even see the resort anymore.

At that time I decided I should come in before I have to fight even bigger winds/swells or be blown all the way down to Mission Beach!

I was using the "Come In Backwards" technique, since there wasn't a break in the surf at all and some of these were overhead breaks! Unfortunately it didn't work very well. It was going great until I caught a wave on the nose, and instead of punching through, I somehow ended up surfing it with the yak pointed backwards and coming in at 15-20 mph backwards!

I remember the look on one of those tour guide dudes standing in the surf as I backwards-surfed past him.

I managed to keep it straight even though I couldn't paddle through the wave. It was almost all-good as the wave flattened out, until my rear keel caught the sand and my entire yak pirouetted around and dumped me in front of all the pretty girls in bikinis in about 1' of water.

I didn't lose anything, but my rod tip broke. I guess it caught the sand when the yak spun around. Next time I'll probably stow all my gear if the incoming surf is that big.

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 03-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote