View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
PapaDave

I fish Dana a lot, have for the last 5 years. I have roughly 300 spots out there marked. Like anywhere else, it can be good, and it can be not so good.

Right now the Halibut are biting outside of Doheny and Salt creek hard bottom areas in about 120 feet more or less. You will have to put your time in though, takes awhile to find them. I heard that the bass were starting to break loose but that was before the latest couple of storms came through.

The pipeline - A pipe that runs out from the red buoy outside the harbor about a mile. If you look on your FF for a 10-15 foot hump that's it.

Salt creek - North of the harbor just past the point, fish along the kelp or head inside the kelp or thru it to the inshore area.

Doheny - the area south of the harbor, lots of kelp beds to explore. Fish shallow or deep. Be careful of the shallow reefs as the swells really build up and can catch you flat footed and easily roll you over. Keep an eye out for the boiling water or the areas where the waves break more than other areas.

You might consider waiting though, when the surf is heavy it tend to bugger up the shallower water (<40') and you wont do very well.