View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Catalina Island Crossing Adventure 2017

Hi Guys,

Looking for some adventure seekers in planning and executing a Catalina Island crossing this summer.

My original plan was to freight over my Hobie PA14, ferry over, pickup yak and fish, camp and then reverse the process. The freighter travels over night and doesn't operate on Sundays and only drops off on Saturdays. This created some logistically problems and extended the trip on the front and back end.

Further research has shown that a kayak crossing is indeed possible, especially in a pedal powered yak. I've already been in training by doing extended kayak outings (8+ hrs pedaling) here in Lake Mead (yup, I'm in Henderson NV)

Thus I'm reaching out to see if anyone can help in planning this dream I have. I'll do my part in training, getting the right equipment and preparing for this journey. I know there may be others who have thought about doing this, so let me know if there is any interests.

I'm interested in doing a 4 day trip. 1 day to get there, set up camp and rest, 2 days fish, 1 day to get back (I'll probably need a day to rest before driving back)

I just purchased a sail (I have hobie kayak sailing experience from before), but would have no problem just pedaling to stay with a group.

This would be an affordable adventure if you considered the costs of parking (ferry terminal) and primitive camping on Catalina Island (approx $200 ttl).

I'm also pretty flexible since I'm self employed.

Anyway - here's to dreams and dreamers and a toast on Catalina Island

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote