View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
Rnrkly5
Shrkbait

Solo Catalina Kayak trip

I did a solo freight over camp trip on June 1 2016 as part my bucket list . My plan was to circumnavigate the island , camping along the way.
I dropped the kayak off the morning before in San Pedro and took the 1st Catalina Express out of Long Beach the next morning . Once in Avalon I walked to the market to pick up water and propane bottles then walked to the freight company
My1st mistake was not packing the inside my kayak with much as possible because the old freight company didn't allow anything in the kayak but I didn't find out that the new company allowed you to pack it full until I was at the Avalon office . I carried 2 large dry bags with my life vest secured to one and now add the weight of 2.5 gallons for more than mile . The 2nd mistake, not taking a taxi from town to the freight company.
The staff at the frieght company were very helpful by carrying my kayak down stairs to behind the warehouse to sea wall where I organized my gear and install my wheels then moved along the sea wall about 50 yards until I found the only possible launch site which was an all rock beach across the sea wall. The rock beachs are the norm for the island.
I launched at 9 am to 3 night 4 day kayak adventure that I will never forget and even changing the whole plan to circumnavigate to just a front side trip because bad ocean and wind conditions making the backside portion very dangerous.
I arrived back at the freight companies rock only beach at 11am on the 4th day ,up the rocks and over the sea wall , this time packing everything inside my kayak, I was carrying only a lightly packed dry bag for the trip back to Long Beach.
I picked up my fully loaded kayak at the San Pedro office of the freight company on Monday morning . No damage , no tampering and nothing missing
I can't say enough about the friendly staff at the freight company, very helpful .
I don't believe a safe Catalina crossing would have been possible on either end of my trip, the conditions got extreme when I was at the West end causing me to change my plan .
Just be aware of the changing weather conditions and you will be an old kayaker someday.
If anyone has any questions , please email me or call me
Russ Kelly
951 768-6944 cell
Rnrkly5 is offline   Reply With Quote