View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #20
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Valuable Intel - Thanks Russ

Had a great chat with Russ who shared his "Bucket List" trip with me - making me all the eager to make this dream come true.

My take away from our hour long conversation:

1) Plan on unpredictable weather - his original plan was to kayak around the entire island, but a freak weather pattern kept him on the front side.
2) Avalon freight is a great service if you want to do the "Freight" option, but know that it adds a day due the barge travelling at night. Might be an option if you would like to ferry over and return with the wind to your back.
3) You can pack your kayak full of stuff, but not propane, which you can get on the island.
4) Travel by the 1st week of June as tourist season starts shortly after (looking to do this trip in May!)
5) Must have WAG bags (something to drop a deuce in) or else the ranger will make you purchase theirs.
6) Parson's landing reservations requires that you check in at Avalon to get your key to your locker - you'll receive 2.5 gal water and some wood. One of the few campsites where you can make a fire - also has showers and bathroom facilities. This site also has picnic tables.
7) Cel service available at Avalon and Two Harbors - not available in the middle of the island.
8) I would travel early 4:30am equipped with lights to make sure that we arrive before noon
9) drink alot of water and make sure you do your morning bathroom break before you embark on your adventure.

He's also down to go again!

btw: received my sail and plan to do a training run of 30+ miles on Lake Mead. If you're serious to come with - start training now! This DREAM can come TRUE if you're committed!

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote