View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
FishNinjaY

Nice pics, nice catch!

Did you say you came in parallel to the waves? Isn't that why you roll? I thought the hard part of landing is keeping perpendicular to the waves, but the waves are coming from behind you... which is why landing is trickier than launching? I've yet to surf launch, but this seems to be what I hear/read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Well done, that's a quality cali. Those north county beaches can be tough and like you noticed, nice on the way out and mean on the way back in. Solona is a nice place with plenty of structure and kelp. There is fun boiler rock fishing there. From your fist photo that looks like a Spanish mac (brown) and not a pacific (green) mac. The Spanish have weaker mouth and some annoying little blades (scutes) running up from the base of the tail. They're both good baits. If you want to really target the sheephead skip the fin bait and go with raw head on shrimp, ghost shrimp, muscles, clams, or even craw fish fished right on the bottom. Your catch rate will greatly improve. Mike
Good info.. thanks.

For the sheepshead tip, I wondered about the frozen shrimp at my local asian market, head-on or head off. Do you do a short dropper loop? or carolina? Thx.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote