View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
dpricenator

Bravo staying upright on that last wave. I've been playing in the surf my whole life, whether on a body board, surf board, SUP, Kayak, or just body surfing. Also lots of surf entry while diving. Anything from the Wedge in New Port, or 10th st in Laguna to San O, and Doheney. The only suggestion I could offer you is to get more speed before the wave gets there. You'll need to start a ways back from the place where you will catch it. The more speed you have the easier it is to keep your yak in front of the wave. One of the reasons you are turning sideways is that the rear end is getting lifted, and then the buoyancy of the front end is fighting that. So even a little angle will cause your yak to turn like that. Extra speed will help you move with the wave earlier, and help keep the rear of the boat lower on the wave. This will let you use your paddle to stay straight, because your body will be in front of the white wash. Also leaning back in the yak to put more weight on the rear end will help. Though that's tougher with the stiff seat backs we have.

Of course practicing what to do when you get turned sideways, is always a plus, because no matter how good you are at riding waves, you will eventually get in a bad spot. And with all the gear we have on our rigs, we need to know how to get out of a bad spot, with out having to replace our gear.

I would love to come out to San O with you one day and play in the surf. Maybe I can learn how to fish while I am there.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote