View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
kirkdavis

Thanks to Mr. Nice Guy, Mitchell and BWE!

I've been a member for a couple of years now and have spent many hours reading posts, learning tips, and getting the rush of reading good fish tales. And I've shared a few of my own. I've met some of you on the water and at HOW events.
I've grown a lot as a kayak angler, and that is in great part to this forum, for which I am grateful.
I would especially like to thank two members that I have met and learned from.
Mr. Nice Guy is truly that, and he is great at researching whatever topic piques his interest. Read his posts. They might give you a different view of things, sometime quite humorous.
The other is Mitchell. I've talked to him at a HOW event, and met him on the water. He catches a lot of grief for posting pics with his canoe, but he too is a wealth of information. He taught me how to make a weeds free squid bait, and most importantly, he suggested landing in the surf Backwards.
My brother was here for a week and we launched at Dana landing for Sunset cliffs for two days to get him familiar, then Sunday we went bare bones to practice surf launching/landing at LJ. It was fairly rough with the sets coming from two angles and coming in just a few secons apart. I tried the backwards landing and I love it! I tried about 10 times and never felt like I was going to wipe out....totally in control. My brother did the same. He only wiped out once on a launch.
Wednesday we went out with all of our gear, and probably should have stayed home, but it was his last chance to fish LJ. On launch I took a wave over the bow that also went over my head, and swept my coffee out of the cup holder. My brother waited a little and only got wet from the waist down. Bait was non-existent, even at the pier, so we dropped squid down, but the wind and chop was pretty bad. I ended up with a Sheepshead, but that was it. Landing actually was smoother than the launch, backwards of course.
Thanks again to the whole BWE gang.
As MakoBob would say,
Tight Lines.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote