View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Drake

Bacon wrapped Surf-n-Turf

Disclaimer: I am in no way a trained chef. I just enjoy cooking and trying new things. Plus I'm hooping tomorrow and need to get rid of some lobster

Real world problems....

Read the "What I've learned from this dish" portion to avoid making the same mistakes I did.

I used EVERYTHING in the picture of ingredients this time... bus_kid, get off me.

Ingredients
- Two lobster tails
- Bacon
- Mayo
- Siracha
- Steak
- Toothpicks
- Fresh garlic
- Red potatoes
- Chili powder
- Boston Bay Seafood Seasoning (or Old bay sub maybe?)
- Salt/Pepper
- Olive oil
- Soy Sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Butter
- Parmesan cheese (shredded)

Start by steaming the tails. You want to do it pretty quickly, not to cook all the way through

When they're finished, put them in cold water to stop them from cooking

While they're in the steamer, if you're lucky have someone chop up some red potatoes

Cover the potatoes in olive oil. Mix in finely sliced bacon pieces, garlic, the Boston Bay seasoning or similar and some salt/pepper
Get them in the oven as soon as you can, they take a while to get nice and brown. Cook them at 450deg

When the tails are cooled off, pull them out of the shells as whole as you can.

Start slicing the steak into thin strips. Soak them for a few minutes in soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.

Begin to wrap the steak around the lobster chunks first, then by a piece of bacon. Use a tooth pick to keep them together. Then, put them in the oven on the top rack

While those are cooking make yourself some spicy mayo. About a 70/30% mix of mayo to Siracha and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also went ahead and made a side salad. Just a fresh spring mix with pieces of clementines and raw sliced almonds. I put some balsamic and olive oil on as a dressing.

Once the bacon wraps start to turn nice and brown. Cover the tops in the shredded parm and throw it under the broiler for a few minutes.

Presto! All done! Hope you enjoy

Things I learned while making this dish...

- I used a nice thick smoked bacon from the butcher. If you plan to use a thick bacon, pre-cook it a bit. Otherwise it might stay raw inside of the wrap

- The steak actually didn't do as much for this dish as I had hoped for. It actually made it less succulent. If you plan to use a steak, use a nice soft meat like a Filet Mignon. I went cheap and got a budget steak.

- Make sure the roll ups stay standing up, otherwise you're going to cook one side of the wrap.