View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
steveooo

No dumb questions...

I've tried two ways.
1) Goop
Very easy install. Don't rush it and you won't get bubbles. Prep the surfaces right, and it will never come off. Very durable, Iv'e had 5 yaks with this method, and never had one pop off. Good image readings (Was easily able to track a swimbait in 100 ft of water) The only downside I can see between this and my other one is that I can not read the depth of the water as deep with this method. I lose bottom around 400 ft, which seems excessive to be fishing in for the most part anyways.

2) Through hull, inspired by this post
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...sducer+install
Fairly easy to install. Should be the best possible readings, as the transducer is directly reading into the water. The only two benefits that I have found are 1) Gives accurate surface temps. 2) I can read deeper bottoms with this method as well, but it may be due to the fact that I have a higher power unit for this install.

Honestly, I can not say that I notice a huge difference between the sensitivity between the two installs. With both installs i can see my bait in the water, see bottom definition clearly, and find bait if it is around.

I am always a little tenative when dragging the yak with the through hull 'ducer, because I'm afraid I will damage it. I know the gooped 'ducer is bulletproof so i never worry about that yak.

I know there are other guys that will chime in, but a wet mount seems like alot of work and alot of possible maintinance for a ducer that will be shooting through plastic anyways. I bang my yak around, and drive longer than most folks, so I don't think this would be the best method for me.

I know others use 2 part epoxy. With how much the bottom of the yak can flex and bend, this seems like it could eventually bend and pop off due to it being so brittle. I haven't tried epoxy, so this is just speculation. Goop is very flexible, unaffected by temperatures, and like I said, I've never had it fail.

For my money, I'd go with the goop, because it has always worked for me. Also try doing some searches on this forum, as the topic comes up about a bajillion times a year. It actually is cool to see the "evolution" of the 'ducer install. I've contemplated other methods, and tried the through hull, but eventually have come full circle and will for sure use goop on my next yak.
"Simplicity means the achievement of maximum effect with minimum means."
- Dr. Koichi Kawana, Architect
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote