Thread: 10/20 am
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
vellocity

10/20 am

got out early, made bait outside the pier in 60' at grey light.. candy bar size greenies everywhere.. tried a slow deep mid column troll amongst the hordes of bait, ahhh over it and went to check out the point..
saw Ken doing the AM paddle looking for 2 pointers..

slow trolled alongside all the lobster bouys..
lots of bait on the meter.
yoyo'ed here and there.. around 8am i finally saw some good marks at 120', dropped the 6Xjr and on the 2nd drop got HAMMERED! hung a good YT for all of 5 mins and it towed me in a few circles and took some decent drag before i started to feel that familiar RUBBING of kelp!! what?? i looked at my meter and there was no kelp on the screen? looked around and didn't see any bouys close enough to give me problems?
got stuck in a stalemate for about another 10 more minutes before i started getting impaitient and pulling harder.. i was too chicken to freespool a treble hook and let it try and saw through, with a circle hook, no problem, with a jig, nah..
anyways, i broke it off after a few more frustrating minutes.. might have been a submersed bouy line as my mono was frayed pretty badly?? either way that was the only strike of the right kind and probably my last shot of this summertime YT..
i hate yoyo fishing..

an hour later had a ZZZinger on the clicker, set the hook, rod loaded up nicely then it was a zipping surface battle and knew it was a big bonito or cuda.....sure enough, released about a 6# bonito.. pretty good sized one too!

bailed about 1015am..
water visability pretty good on the NW corner.. beautiful morning with some decent north to south current..

good luck..
N
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote