View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
madscientist

Laugh all you want there, Kenny boy. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I had just finished checking a net and was dropping it down on the starboard side, when something large bumped my left leg hanging over the port side. :shock: I startled, yelped, and looked over and just saw a big boil but didn't see what it was. It didn't feel like a bite or a tug, more just a big collision. There were no marine mammals around so I've decided to tell myself it was just a big ray that had followed the bait trail up when I lifted the net.

Interesting night otherwise. Headed out a bit before A&J, dropped the baited nets on the spot and headed out to fish and catch more bait. Wind was still pretty stiff. Made a bunch of macs and dragged on along the kelp edge hoping for a ghost. No dice. Wind swung a bit W and started kicking up some nasty chop so I gave up early and headed back to the nets around sunset, to find Ken had joined the party. Second pull produced a legal and 4 shorts and it was pretty steady there on out. Lots of crawdads and almosts, but a good number of legal+ as well. Two huge spider crabs that I contemplated keeping, but decided against. No eels for me but a sculpin that I almost didn't see before I reached in to the net. :shock:
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote