View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Sometimes you just can't catch'm, no matter how good they're biting or how good you are, or how good you think you are. There's always the next trip you can jump on and catch'm! In fishing you will never stop learning, there's always something new to learn or some technique you have never seen. It's awesome that the galley cook helped you out with a fish, that was above and beyond.

Although on this trip you didn't realize that you were using the wrong hook size or leader...it's something that you should be asking about and or paying attention to.

Keep this in mind the next time you go fishing it might help you....
Fisherman can be pretty stubborn creatures...they get set in their ways, and want to catch a fish their way no matter what. Or they'll have a this worked for me the last time so it should work for me this time mentality. Iv'e learned that faster you can put your stubbornness aside and switch to whats working at the moment, the sooner you will catch.
I did ask a ton of questions of people I know who go tuna fishing. My hook and rod selection was based on their advice. As it turned out, 15# leader material was the perfect choice, so I am glad I brought that. When nothing was biting, I did ask some of the other dudes and eventually the deckhands. That is where they pointed me to the proper hook size.

Honestly, I had a good time. As most of you mentioned, it was a learning experience. Any time I learn something new, I am happy. I am certainly looking forward to my next trip, so I apply what I learned this time and bring in some fish of MY OWN!

Yeah, the chef was awesome. When he hooked up, he even asked us if we wanted to bring in the fish. I turned him down because it kinda seemed like cheating to me. hehe. That seems a bit silly, but it is what it is. I wanted the whole thing to be me. Bait selection, pinning the bait, casting, hooking up, fighting, bringing it to the boat, and so on. Hell, I would have loved gaffing it, but that would not have been practical. Kayak, sure, but not on a boat.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote