View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Jim, I agree with Wayne, that kayak is too pretty to ever touch the water. It needs to sit in the lobby of some fancy beach front hotel.

Thanks for the comments Bob but your too late..

It may be fancy looking but it actually fishes pretty well.

You know the funny thing is when I designed and built her I'd never been in a kayak. Initially I was just happy I could sit in it without falling over...

It's kind of a hybrid as it's my own design, but it's essentially a sit inside so it's warmer to fish out of in the winter, and much more stable and faster in rough water then my sit on top yaks. For that reason I use it a lot in the winter when conditions are rough, when I can't launch or fish anywhere but out of the harbors in Santa Monica bay.

Here's some pics from fishing a Small craft advisory fishing in December.

To make the story short I was working a mark for a few hours that day in winds up to thirty, and eight foot seas.

Those pics are actually from one of the times the wind had calmed down, most of the time it was to wet too break out the camera. Probably the harshest conditions I've ever fished in kayak and still had a great bite. I'd paddle up toss a Swimbait, hookup drift maybe 75yds off the spot while messing with the fish, paddle back to that spot and hook another one.

Cold, rough, and very windy at times but wide open bass fishing on plastics. Just a FN blast.

Thanks for the compliments, but what I'm saying is though she may be pretty.

Bottom line she's still a fishing kayak.

Nothing like fishing something you built yourself. Wish I had time to do that skiff it would be a great boat to fish local, or even offshore if you know what your doing out there.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote