View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
carbonbass

Can anyone point me in the right direction

hello all, i am a relatively new kayak angler, and have been doing well in newport harbor fishing for small bass and halibut. Lately i have been trying to leave the harbor, and have launched at a couple laguna spots. I do have a portable fish finder and have tried fishing in depths from 60 ft up to 150 ft. I would like to try for rockfish and bass. I have 2 primary rods i use one of them is MH 20-40lb with a penn jigmaster 500 on it, the other is a mh 10-20lb bass graphite rod that i usually pair a citica or my cardiff 200 on it. I also have a revo toro 50 that im going to be pairing up a mh 12-25lb with. For local rock/bassing should i stick to the man made reefs? or can i just mojer around looking for pinnacles and rock piles, out of the handful of times i have gone into deeper water i have yet to get a fish out there. Generally i use lead heads from 1/2 oz to 1oz in size with some form of plastic on it, but would probably like to try squid soon too, based on my setups should i be using my jigmaster primarily in the deeper water? I dont care knowing exact spots, i just want to be pointed in the right direction as to maybe how to find my own? and how to fish it properly. Thanks~ Cbass

edit: ive also seen people rockfish with light tackle from 8-10lb? how are they able to drop down 1-4oz of lead on light tackle? lol!
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote