Thread: MPA Enforcement
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
but I think I'm OK with this bust.
I should say so.
I sometimes can't believe the arrogance of poachers. When I worked for Qualcomm (QPE), later bought by Kyocera, I had a guy, who knew I fished, and he was proud to tell how he could take his boat over to North Island in San Diego bay, and get 50 lobsters in a night. Mind you, he was talking about any size, any time of the year.
I have a neighbor, not a friend, who's family might not even be legal. He knows I both fish and go after lobsters from my kayak. So, he tells me, as if to brag, or compare his results to mine, how he recently went to Sunset Cliffs with friends and got a bunch of lobsters on rod and reel. I'm sure if they're breaking one law, they don't give a crap about having the license or report card.
If I could have made a call to bust either of these poachers, I would have been glad to do so. But, it's all hearsay and after the fact.
I think to myself, just the people that have told me about taking illegal lobsters, have done 10 times more damage than all of the legal bugs Julie and I've ever taken the last few years. And the ones we kept, had a chance at procreation to sustain the species, while these poachers don't care about their size.
So, the environmentalist whackos, are going to worry about and keep a vigilante on otherwise honest fishermen crossing some ill-identified, completely corrupted, "non-fishing zone", while poachers get a slap on the wrist?
They should give out the maximum fine/penalty to poachers, but I've never heard of this happening.
And the whackos should be patrolling the locations where real crime is occurring.
Aaron