View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #32
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I've launched a couple of times from the Salt Creek area to get to the kelp beds. One needs to roll down towards the west end of the beach and launch / land there. It is one miserable trip back up that steep hill to the parking lot and you probably should take a few breaks or have a friend help you up.

I was stopped last time by a newer female ranger who indicated I should not be launching and landing there. Told her I've launched and landed at San Clemente pier, Doheny, Crystal Cove etc. and could not find anything preventing a launch and landing there. Mentioned that I went way out of the way of any potential watergoers. She pulled out her book of regs and could not located anything specific preventing a kayak (as it's not a boat) from launching and since it's not an SUP, (as I mentioned to her) is classed like a surfboard.

Anyway, got down and launched early before the lifeguards even set up and you gotta land somewhere. After a couple of times doing that, now I take the long way around from the marina.