View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
RIGHT ON. I read posts on youtube aligning this guy with heroes of the past, in that the world needs people like this for mankind to prosper. I cannot think of what greater good there was to gain by doing this? I feel bad for his family. Tragedy that should have never been.
Come on, everybody knows that if he would have pulled this off he would have cured cancer. Duh...

Its a bummer and with a wife and kids I would never attempt such a journey. But a lot of people that do this kind of stuff do have families. Wives, kids, and parents that are all a part of these types of crazy dreams. I guarantee you that his wife married him and had a child with him because of his adventerous spirit. I dunno, I just never find any good in bashing the dead. By his reaction when he was leaving he must have been a good man that had an insatiable appetite for this type of adventure. Its something that I (nor most) will ever understand, and thus, I'll never attempt things like paddling acrossed the Tasman Sea, climbing Mt. Everest, nor sailing in the Vendee Globe.

The responsible decision would have been to recognize this appetite for danger and decide not to have children. But that's not what he decided. He had a family he loved and I'm sure he was confident that he could pull this off, he was wrong and now a kid gets a surrogate dad. Totally irresponsible, but he obviously loved his family and just made a bad choice. There's people that have done a lot worse and don't get post-mortem "I told ya so"'s.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote