View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
grey zone

The Albright Knot is great for joining lines where the is a large difference in diameters, for example 30lb mono to 100lb mono. When joining lines of similar diameters, for example 30lb mono to 65lb spectra I would recommend the uni knot to uni knot connection. The overall knot size is much smaller and very strong. I have never had a failure with this connection. I tie it by first making 10 turns of the spectra around the mono then tighten followed by 3-4 turns of the mono around the spectra. It takes a little practice but this makes a very small knot that will pass through guides unnoticed. A helpful tip when tying this knot is not to tighten the uni knots completely, close but not all the way tight, until both knots are brought together. This will minimize friction on the lines. When tying spectra to a ring, swivel or hook use a regular Palomar knot, it will not slip a double palomar is not necessary. Always consider friction on your line when tying any knot. Friction causes abrasion and heat, both spectra and mono melt. Good luck!
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote