View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post
Unless we band together and fight the lack of openess in the MLPA process we are allowing the first step of a process to ban all human contact and impose serious and very expensive means to protect the proposed MPAs.
actually, if you read the bill (I did) and more importantly read into the bill (I think I can!!) that is exactly the point. it's not a bug, it's a feature.

here's the actual bill

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/99-00/...chaptered.html

now, what are the key points?

2852. The following definitions govern the construction of this chapter:

(d) "Marine life reserve," for the purposes of this chapter, means a marine protected area in which all extractive activities, including the taking of marine species, and, at the discretion of the commission and within the authority of the commission, other activities that upset the natural ecological functions of the area, are prohibited. While, to the extent feasible, the area shall be open to the public for managed enjoyment and study, the area shall be maintained to the extent practicable in an undisturbed and unpolluted state

and

Section 2857
(c)
(4)Marine life reserves shall be designed, to the extent practicable, to ensure that activities that upset the natural ecological functions of the area are avoided.

Now, you can begin to see exactly what the plans were from the beginning. Remember, did we ever hear anything about fish, habitat, species, etc., from the blue shirt fascists? nope. and why not? because they didn't give two shits about the fish.

their goal was closure, as much as possible. think the laguna tuna beotches. they pretty much said they're going to close off the whole f***ing beach.

you have to realize about the closures that they were simply a backdoor to do things that could never get done legislatively. there's no way they could get outflow limitations, access restrictions, water quality, etc., etc., etc., especially in todays f***ed economy

there were many things wrong about the closures and the whole process, probably the worst of it was that those who fought the hardest for the closures were not at all concerned with the intent of having them in the first place. (i.e. why does packard foundation throw $50 million into it?) the mlpa wasn't about "marine life" but about using it to achieve other goals.

consider who was on the brtf and the SAT, and all the corruptions and conflicts and compromises. seriously, if those idiots at surfrider DIDN'T know who they were in bed with... they knew. they didn't care. means to an end. it's what makes them even more detestable than they already were.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote