View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
flydigital

At LJ I have a standard routine of sibiki jigging right past the second reserve buoy, and usually fill my tank in short order. If that isn't working out I go further west along the kelp line until I find decent bait. They start hitting the jig when there is some light out, just before sunrise. You can find bait just about anywhere near structure really but those spots work for me. I am always looking for 8-10" greenbacks. Spanish work too but not as well IMO. The greenies are more lively and have worked better for me to catch fish. I usually keep a few spanish but then start throwing them back to make sure I have at least 12 greenbacks in the tank.

Sometimes making bait is really hard... in that case I'll keep whatever I can get. Keeping a can of cat food on hand for chumming can help when its tough.

I use anything from a size 14 to a size 8 hook sibiki. In my experience it doesn't make much difference. Using a 3oz torpedo on the bottom. If I'm having trouble finding bait I drop the jig to the bottom and troll around at various speeds until I find them. A fishfinder works wonders to find them and get at the right depth.

If you've found them and are making bait, usually they will school by every couple minutes in the general area, so keep at it through the 'lulls', they will be back (usually).

Good luck, hope that helps a bit...
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote