View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
JeffB

Round 2, SD Bay Night

It was such a hard choice for me to make to get out on the water last night. After having a good night Tuesday, my options were sit on the couch or fish. Gee I wonder what my choice was! I got off to a late start unfortunately, but I was not worried. I visited with a BWE couple as soon as I got on the water for a few secs, then it was off to work. I caught 6 bass my first 10 cast. I thought to myself that this is going to be an awesome night. I started off throwing a 6" swimbait, rather than a 5". I was bound to catch a big fish last night. I hit one spot pretty hard, then moved on. About an hr went by without another fish. What in the heck is going? I was getting a lot of bites, but I just could not get my hook set. So I decided to down size to a 5" bait. Still no luck. I finally found a small little clam bed at the east end of SI and started catching some fish. I pulled up a handful of 8"-10", then moved on. I did not come out to catch bait ! So I headed west of the pier. I messed around for a few hours playing around with different baits while I waited for the tide to change over and for the current to start ripping back out to the ocean. I have a special spot for when the current is rolling out with a passion.

Finally, 3:00am, after patiently waiting and making a trip all the way out to the mouth of bay and jetty, the current is in my favor. I post up with my 6" swim and go to town. I was catching fish after fish. This is why I came out to fish ! I was catching a very mixed bag as far as size. I caught anywhere from 8" fish to 3lb fish. It was so funny because I pulled up a 8" calico on the big swimbait. I was using a 1.5oz jig with 7/0 hook. The gap of the hook with the swimbait was twice the size and his little mouth. I was laughing so hard I almost teared up. I raised him up it the air next to the bait a couple times. I asked him was he was thinking. No reply, so I set him free. I caught close to 30 fish on this little hole. It was almost like I was anchored down because I fished the spot so tight. All the fish wanted was my 6" swimbait. I tried a 5", but they were not very interested. I threw five different colors last night and they all worked evenly the same. Finally 5:00am rolled around and I headed over to search for another barn door.

I pulled up to a spot that I have had a lot of luck at in the past. Hit it pretty hard and only managed a few decent bass. However I had one big bite that doubled my rod over, pulling a 1/4 of my rod into the water and pulling a little drag out of my Curado 300. I was not even able to crank on it any and it shook its head with four big thumps and it swam away. Oh well, I wonder what it may have been? I moved back to one last spot and fished it so hard. I was so bound and determined to catch a halibut. Between 7:00-7:30am I hooked into three nice fish, all three fought harder than the big halibut from the day before. I just knew each one was another big barn. I put all three fish in the boat and they all came in as so:
1) 21" Sandbass 4.76lb
2) 22" Sandbass 5.31lb
3) 22 1/2" Sandbass 5.96

I had a gentlemen take a pick of the fish, but he took a small video clip instead. So I took a still frame from it (well my wife did for me). Then I took a pic of all the fish I kept before I cleaned them. A gentlemen at the pier brought me his scale, he wanted to see what they weighed. I do not usually catch bass, especially out of the bay, but my wife warned me what would happen if I came home empty handed. I had a few hiccups with the fish on my last three trips. That however is and entirely different story for an entirely different time. The fish were so fat, it was crazy. I opened up one of the big ones stomachs because it was the size of my fist. It was full of pencil clams, small grey/blue crabs, and a cpl little bait fish. I filled up 3 big ziplock bags full of meat. I treated Reel Anxious with a bag for his generosity for always letting me use the yak. My wife was happy and I get to go fishing yet another day!

Ps. I apologize to the green bass fisherman on here in advance. I would never ever, nor have I ever in the past 24yrs of my freshwater bass fishing career kept a largemouth, smallmouth or spot. I do not feel so passionate towards saltwater bass, but for those who do, don't yell at me throught your computer screen... Have you ever seen this face on a tiny little Thai women, well take it from me you don't want too. If she wants fish, then she gets fish!!! LOL!
Attached Images