Thread: 7-27 Jack/Queen
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Zfish03

7-27 Jack/Queen

Beautiful morning and the launch was PACKED.
Over the squid grounds by 0600.
warm water, out pulling current, incoming tide around 7am.
light swell and salad.
Making squid was easy, had a small bag of fresh dead just in case.

The squid grounds was a combination of the plastic navy, and about 15 private boaters. Plus a few coming and going. People yelling at each other (mostly pvt boaters) and threatening each other....I couldn't believe it how rude some of these idiots are.

Well, I was out to actually catch fish not yell at people and deal with drama. So after I made a full bait tank (around 7am) I headed out a few hundred yards and drifted the tower to the point.
At around 0730 in 80-90ft, Hooked up to a GIANT sheepshead on live squid with 6/0 ahi twist via dropper loop. Never seen one this big before. She was bleeding like a stuck pig and full of air. Sea Lions wanted a piece of her bad. I wanted to let her go but seeing the condition it was in plus the damn dogs...figured I'd rather have her over for dinner than the feed the dogs.
At 0830 I see a nice mark on my FF in the upper water column, it suddenly B-lines down towards my squid at 85ft. Got slammed within seconds of seeing the mark. I couldnt believe I was watching the strike, I had a second or two prepare for it. Very cool experience. Headed in around 10am. the launch picked up and saw some people flip, I had to superman my way in. Totally worth it

Close up

Sheepshead weighed in at 25lbs on digital scale...no joke.
YT weighed in around 23lbs...
Awesome day.

*the date was the 26th, I dont know what day it is anymore.

Last edited by Zfish03; 07-29-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote