View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #36
lamb

When I see even Chuck D chippin’ in on the subject, I can’t ignore it any more…

With the exception of some of you guys going at each other, lots of good stuff has been said.

Be rest assured, all lot of us have been having this conversation. It has been puzzling me for a long time… And I am still trying to figure it out.

There is something to be said about the fact it all pretty much started here in SoCal. I hope it’s not the sign of things to come for other parts of the country.

There is something to be said about general SoCal attitude – my spot, my paddy, my bite, my wave… Especially the general hostile attitude towards each other of SoCal fisherman… Ugh... “F’k you” screamed out from the top of your lungs is the most common communication exchange you can hear on the water between the two fishing boats… ...after ignoring each other, that’s probably the most common one.

In March this year, we went down to Florida, KFS was sponsoring Jacksonville Kayak Fishing Classic. It was pouring for days, we’re talking some serious rain… Windows were 25 knots… 400+ people showed up for the tournament. I could not believe my eyes. Buncha’ awesome folks, great kayak fishing community they’ve got down in Jax.

In August, we went up to NorCal for Albion Open. It was the coolest event with the nicest people I’ve ever been to. Everyone having a blast, the whole camp site pretty much exclusively occupied by kayak fishermen attending the event and their families, good times 24 x 7 for 3 days…

Needless to say – I can wait to go back to both events next year.

It is very true that the internet is evolving, and so is everything that’s riding on it. No one has control over that. Look at the forums 10+ years ago, waaay before FB. The Web provided new platform for folks that share any common interest, People jumped on board to socialize and exchange info, help each other out, and help become better in whatever they were into. What a great concept...

Bragging has always been a big part of fishing. Lots of folks just couldn't resist to utilize this wonderful platform to let the world know about their awesome catch, get some recognition and establish the name for themselves. Oh, the web 1.0 generation…

But you can only brag so much… and very few people get into the sport exclusively for bragging. It’s the personal joy and satisfaction that turns each one of us into anything we do… Personal and internet are kind of ambiguous terms these days, aren't they?

Generational turnover is another phenomena. Folks come and go. Especially with kayak fishing – the turnover is pretty high. Say what you will but it is pretty demanding sport, and only a small percentage of even fisherman will dig and be cool with all the extra effort and obstacles that are required if you were going to do it on a piece of plastics. Do not overlook that part. Many kayakers that either started fishing on the power boat, or got one after experiencing kayak fishing, will tell you that. I am talking about that chill in your bones you get when NW wind is 10+ in December and your arms are wet from a friggen water that keeps dripping down your paddle… or that water that made it down inside of your splash jacket when you picked up that wave in your face during the launch 4 AM, and made the shirt on your belly all wet.

Then there are personal situations, life events that all of us get hit up with without warning, that simply put any “extra-curriculum” activities such as fishing or visiting fishing forum on hold. Health problems, family problems, job troubles.... I’ve personally had a number of those over the years that would make me skip out of even checking BWE for weeks!!!… and I even “work” here!

And sure, there’s lame arse attitude that some people bring to public forums. All of us admins and mods have been continually struggling with that for years. While we’re trying NOT to moderate too heavily (as most of you know there are times where you feel every 2nd response on a given thread should be nuked )… Luckilly, at least in BWE case that is still alive after all these years, there is enough cool folks that the general vibe that prevails is still a positive one. And all of us that struggle to find the time to run this thing find enough justification to help keep it going.

I agree 100% with what Paul said. The saddest thing we have right now is the collapse of the SoCal kayak fishing tournament scene. I’ve had enough conversations with people that are into the sport and in the industry, that are equally bummed about this fact, that I’m really hopeful that we will all come together and change that around in 2014.

Stay tuned!