View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
GregAndrew

There are a lot of contributing factors why forums in this area have gone the way that they have gone. Many of these factors have been mentioned or touched upon already (some overly simplified though). A couple not mentioned are the target species and fishing area. While Bass and Rockfish fishermen are not as inclined to hold back their report, most in southern Ca. target exotics (Halibut, Yellowtail and WSB). The big difference with these types of fish, is that they tend to show up in groups in certain areas for a limited time and then are gone until the next time. I can completely understand not wanting to fish among a throng of other fishermen. Or even allow your closest friends to do the same after you have discovered a time/location bite. Sharing a bite like that with a few thousand members of a group of dedicated fishermen (like BWE), would not allow you or them that luxury.

You really cannot compare the SoCal bight to the Central or North coast as far as fishing area. Except when the Squid are around (which has been a lot the last couple years) most of our coast is pretty much desert. Taking out the MLPA areas and the less accessible areas (below Doheny to Oceanside) also greatly reduces our fishable area. A photo, showing any land mass, posted from just about any location in SoCal will be recognized by at least 20% of the viewers of regional forums. Not to mention stacking up the fishermen again.

While I do not advocate posting or holding back a bite, I can understand why some may want to do either. And I support the right of the individual to choose for themselves without being bullied into it. Although, I will usually ask the guy that turned me on to a bite if they want me to hold my post. And, let me clarify to some here, a picture of a fish without mentioning other bites, fish lost or other peoples catches is not posting a "bite". Although, it does become a "bite" when you attack the poster. Seems these large forums have become just a place you get your setup and technique info squared away. And make your initial acquaintances that you build into speed dial relationships.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote