View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I have the unique perspective of living in many places where waders are a must for kayak fishing. I've lived the Pacific Northwest, and several states surrounding the Great Lakes. So here is my two cents: In places where the water is less than 60 degrees or air temps are lower than mid sixties I will wear waders and a dry jacket, (a poor mans dry suit, but very effective) If you were to take a spill in coastal Oregon or Lake Superior this setup will keep you dry and give you enough time to re-enter the kayak without having to worry about that instant cols shock hypothermia. Nothing but a survival suit will allow you to spend a long time in 50 degree water. In our local waters most of the time the air temp is warm enough during the day that if you take a lap full of water on launching you will dry off and not get too cold. At night I think I would be wearing some type of waterproof pants or jacket . I have some wading pants that have neoprene stocking feet and they work well for early launches on cloudy or cool days.

Also a wading belt works very well to keep water from pouring into your waders, and if you have ever gone chest deep in the water with waders on you realized that the pressure from the water seals the waders to you like a second skin, so you dont have to worry about them acting like an anchor and pulling your to your death.

Bottom line is this in order to be safe, always wear your life jacket, and know how to self rescue. In SoCal what you wear is going to be dependent on the water temp and the air temps, and how comfortable you are when wet. If it is going to ruin your day, wear the waders, if its warm and you have quick drying clothes then they probably aren't needed.

Keep safe out there and find your comfort zone.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote