View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
RobFish
Massive Member

I've got 2 "go to" setups.

Seeker Stealth 15-25 with an Avet SX. Spooled with 50# braid.
Seeker Stealth 25-40 with an Avet MXJ. Spooled with 65# braid.

I've also got a jigstick, Seeker Pinhead LM9, 9' rated 20-40. Reel on that is a Daiwa Sealine 30, spooled with 65# braid, tied to a 4' leader of 40# flouro.
I'd rather have a star drag reel for the further casts.

I've rotated more gear through my garage than I care to mention. Tried this, tried that, different lengths, rod blank materials, line test ratings, etc. and the above mentioned gear is what I have narrowed it down to. 90% of the time, I fish in La Jolla, and 90% of the time I'm targeting either YT's or rockfish.

StinkyMatt is right on the $ when it comes to the Daiwa Sealines. They truly are a great reel, and can be found for amazing deals. A couple of months back, Turners had them on sale for $80. MSRP is $120.

I use Izor braid. I'm just not a fan of Shimano as a brand, and they "own" PowerPro. I try to stay away from their products in the bicycle world as well, although I do run a Shimano cassette/chain on my MTB. It's just a way they do business. Totally a personal gripe with them.

Getting started with gear from Big5 is a good move for the budget minded.
They have decent gear offerings that kill fish, and get your waders bloody.
Craigslist is a great place too, especially this time of year, as the "season" is over to some, and people are thinning out their arsenals, and getting a little extra $ for the upcoming holiday season.