View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
I would like to catch one in a kayak? Who does it and how do i get there?
Marlin have been taken by Kayakers off La Jolla, and I keep waiting for someone to get one off the East end of Cat. They come in close enough at times but you have to be there right there right on them fishing for them when they come through. The last two Marlin I saw at boatside were both taken withing five miles of Catalina Island. My 178 pound fish was maybe five miles off the slide and Steves 160 pounder was hooked with four miles of Long Point. If I was going to fish them that's where I'd do it.

Swordfish local would be almost impossible. Almost all are swords are taken local are caught with mackerel cast to sleepers or surface swords that are basking in the sun. The problem is finding one and getting your yak in front of it to bait it. It's just too rare to predict. For instance I have several hundred local offshore trips to my credit targeting both tuna and Marlin. Out of all those trips I've seen only five swords, and none of those we baited lit up or struck a bait.

It could probably be done in Florida night drifting. You'd have to find a charter Captain willing to take you out and baby sit you, but they do catch enough smaller swords up shallow that it could be done. Personally if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd forget about swords and either drag my yak to Prince William sound and fish for a Giant Bluefin. Or better better yet take one down to PV and fish here:

There's plenty of Marlin to catch there but I'd be targeting big Tuna. Now that is something I've been meaning to do.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote