View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee84cali View Post
That's awesome! Are they any good? I caught one a little smaller than that on Thursday, a dude on a skiff helped me get my butterfly back. How do u land them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooked up a couple of steaks for dinner and they were a nice, white, flakey meat, not much flavor so a good combination of spices is a must. No fishy smell or taste at all. A very good eating fish.

Landing was something I was real careful doing. It took a little time because when I gaffed it I just pissed it off and it fought harder and twice wiggled off the gaff. Eventually once I got the upper hand I was able to put the knife through the head and it was game over after that.

One thing I forgot to mention after landing at the beach some guy walked up to me as I was putting some gear in the truck and asked what kind of fish I caught. I told him a Thresher shark. He say's "Is that legal I don't believe so"? I stated it sure is and good eating too.

He says...

"I am a Coastal inspector, or something to that effect I didn't pay much attention when he said it, and I believe all sharks are illegal to keep.

Me - Uh, no they are very legal.

Him - You should double check that and I am going to report it.

Me - I think you should double check it, I've been fishing most of my life and I know they are legal to keep.

He walked over to the lifeguard tower and had them call it in to a supervisor.

I walked back to my kayak on the beach and the lifeguard came over to me to ask if I could wait around for the supervisor as this Coastal dude reported that I am keeping an illegal fish. So I said sure, happy too, how long will it be? He said should only be about 5 minutes. Okay, no problem. After about 10 minutes they never showed up and the lifeguard waved me to go ahead and leave. He just took my name and number down just in case.

Anyone ever hear of such a person? Obviously not with DFW as he was not very educated in what is legal or illegal.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote