Thread: Technology
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
Denis_Ruso

This is an extremely open question, there is no right answer here just different perspectives.

Technology like GPS has increased safety for navigation - I know mine has saved my butt in the fog several times. Which I only see as a positive, tracking drift, travel speed marking waypoints.

As far as mapping software, fish finders, reels/rods it just depends on what lens you look at it through. Keeping fishing a sport and giving the fish a fighting chance you draw a personal ethical line at which point you have too much of an advantage. I personally grew up with this technology but there will always be some that consider the technology of today an unfair advantage and taking the sport out of sport fishing. But I think rod/reel technology has made fishing much more accessible to the novice.

The other part is the internet has made fishing much more popular and that again a grey area. It's great because more people share our passion but its also not because offshore fishing etiquette has gone out the window with the amount of weekend warriors you have on the water. The fish have more pressure and it's becoming more of trophy culture. Spots getting overfished and overcrowded. But at the same time the popularity is generating more money being spent in the private/sport fishing industry which in turn gives us more voting power because money=power in capitalism.

To sum it up in my opinion it is both helping and hurting. Technology makes the experience easier but the things you are most proud of in your life were never easy. I mean part of the reason we get on the water is to get away from it all and not stare at a screen right? So although I use the benefits of technology myself to improve my odds, I find myself getting more fulfilment from taking back it to the basics and simplifying my gear.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote