View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #661
Chuck D

H-Rail Addition to the Outback

So, I got my new sweet Limited Edition from Andy, would never get a yak from anyone else Decided that I would like to add some rails because I was sure they would be useful for many purposes (even if not for what I originally intended). So I ordered 2 small rails 9" I think. At first I thought for sure to hold my FF Head unit and then a couple rod holders would be nice (I always add scottys and they work) got a couple railblazas I can add to the mix from my adventure. Installed on the left, fits perfect over the cup holder. On the right it just does't match up with the Outback design so machined an inch or so off and fit like a charm. Once I drilled the 4 holes, gooped it up, added the washers and clamped down. Here are some pros and cons that I found after a month of use, overall I love the addition to the yak!

Pros:
hold to control yak when launching/landing in surf
use to help lift yak over stairs at LJ Launch
holds my FF solid with a ram ball/hrail attachment and lets me adjust at many levels
can attach you pliers or any gear to it that you do not want floating/sinking away
squid lights tie off to it
hold my beer can in more solid then before
many h-rail attachments, want to attach go pro in the future...
can hold for stability
can use to help tie knots and get good tension
fits on my jrack the same as before
place to wrap a lock around
watertight

Cons
wanted rod holders and H-Rail attachment would move under pull of trolling baits and did not feel comfortable if hit with a bit strike (therefore, no rod holders for me, ended up adding scotties in the front like I always have)
Beer bottles don't fit too well anymore on the L side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4297.jpg (53.3 KB, 983 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4298.jpg (60.0 KB, 998 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4299.jpg (68.0 KB, 996 views)
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote