View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #221
dc1983

Bass Pro seat

I recently added a new seat to my kayak. It consists of a Bass Pro folding boat seat with a boat seat swivel. Then I put a Wise Quick connect boat seat mount on the kayak.

materials used-
Bass Pro Folding boat seat-24.99
Bass Pro Boat seat swivel- 9.99
Wise Quick Connect Boat seat mount 20.99
screws/bolt/washers- like $15 (had to go back and get longer bolts)
scrap wood
tube of Marine Goop

Screws/bolts/washers were
1/4 in by 5 in X 4
1/4 in by 3 in X 4
1/4 in bolts X 8
washers X 24

Ok now to how it all went together-

I cut the scrap wood to fit the match the Wise Quick connect. Then drilled the holes to mount the quick connect to the wood. I used the wood with holes drilled as a guide and drilled the holes into the kayak. once this was done I placed the wood block and Quick connect together and used over 3/4 of the Marine Goop on the bottom of the wood and placed the weather stripping around the edges of the wood. then bolted it all in to where the seat would go.

On the top of the Wise quick connect I had to unscrew the top lip and place washers under the piece of metal to allow the base for the seat to slip in.

I drilled out the holes in the seat to connect the seat to the swivel base to allow for a better hold (the screws that come with the seat seem weak to me) For the Stealth 14 because of the bait tank hatch I had to cut out a little bit of the front center of the seat to beable to open the hatch.

Then put it all together and here is the end result. I used a Drimal tool to sand down all the edges that were still touching the kayak and causing friction.(pretty much just the back of the folding seat and the back corners on the bottom.

I took it out to Dana Point last weekend to test it out. The seat didn'e really change the center of Gravity. It felt the same as before I installed the seat as far as stability goes. I caught a 18 lb Halibut and never felt that I was going to tip over.

Another good thing i found is by Installing the seat this way it creates a space below the seat for more storage. My Nalgene bottle will fit under the seat perfectly.

Hope this helps those that had questions and feel free to ask all the questions you want. Next project is a trolling motor and I WILL be asking lots of Questions. My Goal is to make this stealth 14 better than a Pro Angler!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat seat 2.jpg (40.8 KB, 2199 views)
File Type: jpg boat seat 3.jpg (37.0 KB, 2185 views)
File Type: jpg boat seat 4.jpg (35.2 KB, 2188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.jpg (43.8 KB, 2188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (52.6 KB, 2195 views)
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote