View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
As I read all the threads and posts, I see some interesting names that I often wonder "What in the world does that mean". Some are self explanatory, but some ....... If your bored, reply back with your explanation
A long time ago, back on the first day when I first got on the web I went right to a So. Cal. fishing message board that I found through a search engine and posted a local Redondo halibut report. It was back before logins or set message board usernames, and some guy who turned out to be one of the "board gurus" got bent out of shape because I was using the wrong gear in his opinion. Stren 17lb Fluorocarbon instead of his standard big game 30 pound mono, and he called me a liar and said I did not know anything about fishing the area I was talking about, and then accused me of being someone (another poster) who I was not.

Not to be deterred I said: "I'm Jim Day." "I know Redondo like the back of my hand, and I don't have to lie about who I am or what I catch on the internet just to get attention from some dumb f__ks who probably spend more time arguing online then fishing"...

To the Gurus credit he took it in stride, and later down the line we became friends and even fished together for halibut. (of course I out-fished him)

Oddly over a decade later I had a very similar experience which relates to how I got on the kayak boards. I posted my first real Kayak Halibut report with this Redondo Halibut ...

On the boards I then frequented..You can actually still see the reports here...
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/in...shing-yak.html

and here...
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/V...D=48187&page=1

Out of the forty odd replies to those post there was one negative one. Some guy, this time local internet "kayak board guru" got bent out of shape and actually signed up with a new account under a bogus name to slam me because I was using the wrong gear etc... (sound familiar?) ......and then demanded to know why I was posting kayak reports on a mainstream fishing boards rather then a kayak board.

Here's his actual post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy ..oar
....Dont you think a flying gaff is more suited to marlin or threshers?seeme like a waste of time for a cal.halibut,no matter how big it is.ive caught 3halis over 40lbs and at least 6 over 30lbs,.. in my kayak,, and would not want to use a flying gaff,once i gaff it, i want the fish under control,no thanks,why arent you posting this under a kayak website?
At the time I did not even know about kayak boards, so I traced the guy back to one of them (I'm not going to name names) and reposted the report there just to piss him off, and in contrast to the Internet boat Guru1. Internet Kayak Guru2 and his buddies have been stirring up trouble for me on the kayak boards ever since.

I guess you could say some things change, some things never change, and some things once set in motion seem inevitably go where they go, and you can't do much about it.

At any rate I got stuck with my real name on the boards after that first day. In hindsight I just didn't know any better, and for better or worse I never felt the overwhelming need to change it since then

So that's my story... Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-09-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote