Thread: MLPA Maps
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

We kayakers showed up in decent numbers. Not the best we've done though. Thanks to everyone that did make it. Huge thanks to those that donated their time to me so I could get through a longer presentation. It's tough to drive all that way and give your time to someone else so I really appreciated it.

October 20-22 we need a better turnout. This is the most important meeting yet. This is where things really hit the fan. The BRTF will most likely combine the maps to come up with what they really want. How that goes is up in the air. Our input can help. There will be at least one public comment session, maybe two.

I hope they schedule at least one of those at a reasonable time for working people. You can email and ask for just that here:

mlpacommen​ts@resource​s.ca.gov

Any messages made now should not be addressed to the RSG members. Their work is finishing up today if all goes as planned. Now is the time to direct comments to the BRTF about which map is best, or which areas should remain open. The maps should be made available soon.

It is getting old seeing the same people at these meetings. We need new faces. Many of the MLPA staff are on a first name basis with some of us. We need to do better. We sound like the same small bunch of whiney fishermen similar to the crazy laguna ladies. It is hard to say there are thousands of us, when only the same handful show up everytime. Where was everyone that attended the great rallies over the last weekend? It's easy to make a statement when it doesn't matter as much. Driving around with your buddies for a few hours with signs on your boat and having a bbq afterwards is fun, but the real differences being made in this struggle are in hotel ballrooms at the actual meetings.

For those that say public comment hasn't helped, look at what has become of the maps. Many are still very ugly, but key concessions have been made in areas that we complained the most about. Most notably La Jolla.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote