View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #35
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
JWhat's the deal with mercury levels in the big ones though? Those big threshers have been around a long time eating and bioaccumulating...... I think the more important idea is to try and only keep males, that is if you want to harvest threshers.
Those are both good points.

You know it's kind of weird for me as it's such an old issue for me. I just posted kind of the same thing I've been saying for over a decade.

Honestly I've not been keeping up or looking for new information when it comes to T's and Mercury. The last thing I read on mercury was a few years ago and it said that adult T sharks were not as bad as tuna or swordfish when it comes to bio-magnification, but that's now old information.

As to the male shark idea: Yes you are absolutely right if if you want to harvest sharks, it's preferable that you only take males. I should of said something about that in my post. Females carry the young one male can mate with many females.

You might find this interesting but I feel the same way about lobsters. Same idea one male can mate with many females. I occasionaly keep smaller females when hooping is very slow but if possible I release all my females and never keep big females over three pounds. The larger the tail the more eggs they can protect and carry. On the other and I have no problem killing big males as larger males are canibilistic and eat their own young.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote