Thread: nasty
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Dean Machine

nasty

That's more than I've seen in awhile. Conditions this morning were bad. I should have heeded the wind warning I read last night, oh well. I paddled out at about 5:30 hoping the sun would provide some light, and soon. The launch was easy and it was real nasty out there but I figured it was still doable until about 6:00 when things just blew up. I felt like a fart in a hurricane and couldn't help thinking about earning a darwin award. I decided to turn around when I felt the wind lifting the side of my yak everytime I crested a nasty chopped up swell. For fear of getting blown over and having to deal with that it was not worth it. There were quite a few that had lanched before me and also a few on the beach after I landed that had also decided to come in. Those that were still out were on their way back. Seemed like everyone was accounted for if they were with someone. Nast, nasty weather. Oh yeah and I sealed my cellphone in a water proof bag before launching making sure to leave some air in the bag so it would float. After landing the waterproof bag looked like it had been vacuum packed. Literally. Must have been a huge barometric pressure increase. Crazy. I'm praying for a window of good weather to get out there sometime this week.